YUV to RGB conversion issues
Following the recent Optimize Playback thread, I seem to have opened Pandora's box when it comes to Color Model in Cinelerra.
I work mostly with 8 bit YUV footage from Panasonic and DJI cameras. Up until now, I have always set the color model to RGB-FLOAT for my projects, and this, combined with setting YUV color space to BT709 and YUV color range to MPEG has meant that what I see in the compositor looks the same as my final rendered video.
However, I have noticed that if I set the color model to YUV-8 Bit, then my footage has far more dynamic range (highlights are hard-clipped when set to RGB-FLOAT), and is more saturated. In fact, when set to YUV 8 Bit, the footage looks the same as it does in VLC player.
On the other hand, if I use YUV-8 Bit as the color model, the final rendered video does not look the same in VLC player as it does in the Cinelerra compositor - it is a bit de-saturated compared to the compositor.
What I would like to achieve is to retain the vibrant colour and highlights that I see in the compositor when the color range is set to YUV-8 Bit in my final rendered video. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I made a discovery the other day which may help a little. Having sold my X-T3 I am concentrating my efforts on my HC-X1500, which shoots broadcast restricted (MPEG) video. My action camera shoots full range, so I need Cinelerra set to JPEG for that. I always use RGBA-FLOAT.
I found (understandably) that importing MPEG into JPEG colour space leaves it rather flat even after my best efforts. I also found that yes, if I set Cin to MPEG it hard clips, so the waveform monitor 100% is ususally a straight line. However, if I leave Cin set to JPEG and import MPEG clips, then convert it to JPEG using Colour Space, the flatness disappears and so does the hard clipping.
Edit: I forgot to say the HC-X1500 exposure is normally set using 95% zebras, so the waveform monitor should never hit 100% with a raw clip.
Just thought I would mention it in case it helps.
Yes that is correct. I used the native plugin.