Good old Quicktime for Linux rendering?  

   RSS

0

I would like to render directly to a Quicktime for Linux file with MJPEG.  Is this possible?

8 Answers
0

In the Render menu, choose for File Format -- ffmpeg and then in the next box use the pulldown to get to "qt".  Then click on the Video "wrench" icon and in the Compression textbox, use the pulldown to get to "mjpeg_444.qt" choice.  The pixel format can be changed.

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by phylsmith2004
0

Thank you!  What's the difference between mjpeg_444.qt and mjpeg.qt?

0

Both are mjpeg but mjpeg_444.qt has a pixel_format of 444 whereas mjpeg.qt uses yuv420p for the pixel format.  Because 444 probably uses more cpu, it also has an attribute (that you can see in the large textbox in the Video Preset window) to use 3 threads and it has VBR set to 4.  The mjpeg.qt uses whatever ffmpeg's default values are for these variables.

BTW, you can add any legal ffmpeg-type parameters in the textbox (but not all will work) - to see what is available, click on View in the Video Preset, then change Kind: in the upper right hand corner to ffmpeg, highlight one of the options and in the lower right hand corner a yellow tooltip will show up for some of the parameters that describe it.

0

Thank you.  I successfully did a renderfarm render in mjpeg, now I'm trying to figure out how to concatenate the resulting files.  The manual mentions Rendermux, but I have two problems:

1. It only shows up in the root instance of Cinelerra (there is no Rendermux option in the standard user instance)

2. Clicking it apparently does nothing.

3. Bonus: the manual suggests concatenating by re-rendering using the same settings, but this takes just as long as the original render took.

Advice?

P.S. Thanks for all your help!

0

OK, gg figured out the problem - apparently ffmpeg is not happy about the extension of your output files, that is .qt.  So next time you do a render in the first textbox in the Render menu make sure the name has the extension of .mov instead. You can run it from the command line to put your files together -- it exists in {your cinelerra path}/doc/RenderMux.sh -- and the output log file from the run will be /tmp/render_mux.log.

How To Recover:  Rename your files from filename.qt001 to filename.mov001 ... 002 and so on (I think I would actually make a copy in case you make a mistake). Then key in this line AFTER substituting for "$CIN_RENDER" your full pathname and filename, for example abc.mov (be sure to leave 0* there) and also substitute full path/file for the $CIN_RENDER at the end.  You should end up with the concatenated files all together in abc.mov

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i <(for f in "$CIN_RENDER"0*; do echo "file '$f'"; done) -c copy -y $CIN_RENDER

I hope this is clear.  Ordinarily you would run this in your Cinelerra session where the render was performed (before quitting is necessary so that CIN_RENDER has the filename already substituted). You run it by clicking on the MS-DOS looking icon in the upper right hand corner of the main timeline (above the FF icon).

You found a weird problem that I do not know why ffmpeg would care about.  Thanks for letting us know so I can add that to the manual to avoid other users having the same problem.

This post was modified 1 week ago by phylsmith2004
0

Thanks, that worked!

0

Still can't call the Rendermux script from within the Cinelerra instance which rendered the files though (even after changing the suffix to .mov).

When I do that, nothing happens.

BUT...

I was running Cinelerra as root from a terminal so I could use the renderfarm, and when I closed it, I noticed this error message:

[concat @ 0x55f6e40e9f40] Impossible to open '/home/dan/Videos/Hobby Horse Videos/batch/brescia2.mov0010*'
/dev/fd/63: No such file or directory

Which I presume is the error thrown by the script.  Apparently there's a problem because there is no .../brescia2.mov0010.  My renders go from brescia2.mov001 to 052

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by dankinzelman
0

Another update: although the render farm went really fast, the reassembled files no longer match up with the audio (which I exported seperately since they didn't play nice together when I tried concatenating them, there was a skip at each file boundary).

I presume this means I'm losing or gaining frames during the batch render.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot.  For now it's back to single instance rendering, unfortunately.

Share:
  
Working

Please Login or Register